like when printing t-shirts.
Today was screen printing guerilla warfare 101. We haven't screen printed t-shirts in, well, let's just say *a while* (ok, transparency, a VERY long while). We picked up a fresh screen printing kit. And some of the instructions were even given a glance... we felt ready.
- Cardio - best to be ready because there was a lot of running around at the last minute grabbing things because "wow! we need that".
- The Double Tap - regardless of any and all directions it really is best to double swipe the screen with the squeegee during the inking process. Regardless. Do it!
- Beware of Bathrooms - what can i say? Screening ink? (you figure it out)
- Wear Seat Belts - ok, this one doesn't really apply, except driving back and forth to the store to get the items hidden in the directions (rather than in the materials list), best to follow the law and not get slowed down.
- No Attachments -just plain bad advise with this one!
- The “Skillet” -or whatever other *iron* implement you want to apply.
- Travel Light - wish I'd paid attention to this one ; )
- Get a Kick Ass Partner - check! A good partner is definitely a big advantage!
- With your Bare Hands - definitely easier, except at the one stage that got really messy and a bit toxic...
- Don’t Swing Low - huh?
- Use Your Foot - well, unh, no, this one doesn't really apply either.
- Bounty Paper Towels - YES! ...the quicker picker upper... or any brand of your choice.
- Shake it Off - every time i had to dry the screen, a gentle shake.
- Always carry a change of underwear - i'll leave this one up to you.
- Bowling Ball - helpful in that same way as Rocket needing that man's leg.
- Opportunity Knocks - yep, now respond.
- Don’t be a hero (later crossed out to be a hero) - yeah, be it.
- Limber Up - before and after.
- Break it Up - Don't. Don't try to do it all at once, you'll ruin the back ; ) .
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint - self explanatory. And, btw, these weeks? These are sprints.
- When in doubt Know your way out - yes. Screen print a bunch of t-shirts and you'll see how this one applies.
- Zipplock - apparently this rule wasn't memorable for me...
- Use your thumbs - well, yeah...
- Shoot First - and last.
- A little sun screen never hurt anybody - not true. BUT! When screen printing out-of-doors (like we were today) it is exceptional advice!
- Double-Knot your Shoes - very helpful. Very.
- The Buddy System - already covered in "get a kick ass partner".
- Pack your stain stick - again i saw hunh?!?
- Check the back seat - because that is where you left most of what you can't find.
- Enjoy the little things - and the big things. Actually? Just enjoy all the things!
- Swiss army Knife - well, duh. Or any decent knife. Always.
I'll talk about screen printing technique and procedure another time ... today was about prepping for Quest's next documentary short release on Earth Day!!! (perspectives on science!)
(the front design is top-secret 'til then!)