Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Crochet Terms, Definitions, and Conversions

An ugly truth about crochet is that the terms ARE NOT UNIVERSAL.
3/4 of the secret to understanding anything is having the terms to be able to think about what you are trying to think about!

So, before I go any further, my need for clarity is compelling me to write this post to share some of the basic definitions of terms and symbols for understanding crochet, and how this translates (is converted) to at least one other language. OK, technically it *is* the same language, only it isn't  ; )  .

Over time I will add links to short videos to demonstrate the stitch/ action.
If you have any corrections or another language you'd like to add, please send them to me, I'm happy to add!

Basic Terms and Symbols


Symbol
US crochet stitch terms
UK crochet stitch terms

 
slip stitch (slip st)
slip stitch (slip st)

chain (ch)
chain (ch)


single (sc)
double (dc)

half double (hdc)
half treble (htr)

double (dc)
treble (tr)

treble/triple (tr)
double treble (dtr)

double treble/triple (dtr)
triple treble


gauge
tension


skip
miss


stitch (st)
stitch (st)












I'm starting with really basic terms, but I'll add more terms, definitions and (hopefully) cultural/language variations/differences!



No comments:

Post a Comment